Tuesday 13 December 2011

Could This Chelsea Reject Do A Job?



While it may be tempting to write about refereeing decisions today, or write a few hundred ridiculously over the top panic filled words about the wheels coming off at City I have chosen to do neither, firstly because yes, we all know we should have had a penalty, and on the second point, well come on, let's not be stupid and start worrying about one defeat!


Instead I have been thinking about our defence, and more specifically the depth in that department.  I have been impressed at times with Stefan Savic, but I think it was reasonably well demonstrated at Loftus Road that he isn't the finished article and for me there are huge question marks over Kolo Toure regarding both his ability and his commitment to the club.  I would not be surprised to see is move for a central defender in the January window, and a name I would like to throw into the ring is Alex Rodrigo Dias da Costa, or just Alex to you and me.




The Chelsea defender had a transfer request accepted last weekend and I think he could definitely do a good job for us.  It is quite inexplicable why he has fallen out of favour at Stamford Bridge, he may not be the most glamorous defender, but he looks more competent in that position than is compatriot Luis. 


At 29 the Brazilian has good experience and still retains the immense strength and arial ability that first alerted Chelsea in 2004 when he moved from his native country where he was playing for Santos.  He spent three years initially on loan with PSV in Holland before becoming a full member of the squad at Stamford Bridge in 2007.  Since then he has never been a regular but has always been an excellent back up  whenever he has been required.


He is now not even a bit part player and despite winning one league title and two FA Cups he has been deemed surplus to requirements - I think Chelsea's loss could definitely be our gain.  The fact that he is transfer listed would suggest that he would be available for a cut price and since he would only be used as a 3rd choice that is clearly a bonus.




He is not a long term solution or long term replacement for Joleon Lescott (not that I believe he needs replacing) but I would much prefer to see us spend a smaller amount of money on Alex as opposed to breaking the bank on someone like Gary Cahill, who in my opinion has flattered to deceive throughout his top flight career so far.  The Brazilian may not be the most exciting option but I certainly believe he could do a good job without costing the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment